- Support The New Black‘s outreach. With your help, we can use the film to build bridges across communities and ensure civil rights for all in Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs), churches and other houses of worship, and cities and communities around the country. Please help keep our work going! Make a tax-deductible donation today by clicking here.
- The New Black and The Human Rights Campaign — the largest LGBT rights organization in the country — are offering $4,000 in grants to students, faculty and administrators at Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) who want to use The New Black to make their campuses safer and more inclusive of LGBT people. If this description fits you, please apply to be a part of this groundbreaking initiative. Click here to download the application, and to find out more information.
- Read up on DOMA and find out what the Supreme Court ruling will mean for the future of marriage equality in the U.S.
- Find out about your state’s position on same sex marriage, and write your legislators to tell them what you think. http://www.freedomtomarry.org
- If you’re a member of a congregation, find out about how you can take the steps toward becoming a Welcoming and Affirming place of worship.
- Talk to your LGBT friends and family about their experiences and the intersection of race and sexual orientation. Find out what LGBT equality means for them.
- Join The New Black Community on Facebook. Spread the word about screenings and our PBS broadcast in 2014.
The New Black
The New Black is a documentary that tells the story of how the African-American community is grappling with the gay rights issue in light of the recent gay marriage movement and the fight over civil rights. Continue Reading
Director Yoruba Richen wins Chicken & Egg Breakthrough award January 22, 2016
T.J. Holmes Will Host VH1 Roundtable Discussion on Being Openly Gay in the Hip-Hop Community October 15, 2015
WALB News 10: Screening of LGBT documentary at Albany state September 25, 2015